Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Oatka Creek Park • June 16

Twelve-spotted Skimmer. This is a female.

Twelve-spotted Skimmer

Eastern Kingbirds driving a Red-tailed Hawk from their nesting territory. They were physically hitting the hawk. Note the following closeup ...

Eastern Kingbirds. The lower bird has its red crown feathers showing. This rarely happens in the field. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this before!

Eastern Kingbirds driving a Red-tailed Hawk from their nesting territory. Again, note the following closeup ...

Eastern Kingbirds. The lower bird’s red crown feathers are visible. I did some research and it seems that both males and females have red crown feathers, so you can’t conclude which is which from the picture. After the hawk was driven off, the kingbirds wheeled around and came after me! Needless to say, I beat a hasty retreat!

Willow Flycatcher

Eastern Towhee. This is a female.