Thursday, June 26, 2014

Oatka Creek Park • June 26

Eastern Phoebe nest #1

Eastern Phoebe nest #2

St. John's Wort

Eastern Kingbird. While chasing my first Monarch of the season across Maple Hill through thousands of milkweeds and ultimately failing to get a picture, I stumbled upon this kingbird. I think he is looking at me as if to say, "What's your problem?!"

Eastern Kingbird

Great Spangled Fritillary. Not to be disturbing (for a variety of reasons), but the butterfly is feeding on fresh bear scat. (See what I mean about a variety of reasons?) The bear scat has been appearing daily for a little over a week, now. The bear is feeding on the cherries that are currently ripening in the park. I have not seen the bear and probably won't as it is likely sleeping during the daylight hours when people are in the park.

Butterfly Weed

Common Wood-Nymph. These butterflies will be abundant shortly, but the first one of the season is always a delight!

Red Admiral

Common Mergansers. These are the first juvenile mergansers I've seen on the creek this year. Only three. It must have been a rough breeding season this year.

Common Mergansers

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

Northern Pearly-eye