Monday, January 13, 2014

Oatka Creek Park • January 13

Long-eared Owl

Long-eared Owl

Long-eared Owl

Long-eared Owl

Long-eared Owl

Long-eared Owl

Long-eared Owl


People have been asking me recently what the owl has been eating. Therefore, while others were photographing the owl, I went back to one of the owl's previous roost trees. I looked on the ground below and, sure enough, I found an owl pellet! It was a mass of black hair in the size and shape of a cigar butt and black as my black wool glove, with a bit of bone sticking out. It was also quite soggy and I did not have a plastic bag on me. So, I did the pellet dissection in the field and photographed my results. Inside were the skull and leg bones of a vole.

The skull has been turned upside down here to reveal the back teeth. Now we know what the owl has been eating!