Monday, July 1, 2013

Oatka Creek Park • May 5


Wood Duck. This ever elusive bird got caught by my camera!

Yellow Warbler. Warbler Loop is, once again, the nesting domain of this species.

Blue-winged Warbler. Another elusive, yet common, bird that made a brief appearance for me.

Brown Thrasher. Another mimicry songfest!

Large-flower Trillium. The daily trillium.

Virginia Bluebells. The daily bluebell.

Carolina Wren. Though I never found it, this bird must have had a nest very close to the trail by the creek. It really scolded me long and hard! This went on daily for about a week.

American Robin. This nest was right by where the wren would normally have a fit. Must be a popular nesting territory for several species.

Juvenal's Duskywing. Butterflies seem to be on the scarce side this year, though I usually wait until July and August to follow them intently. Before then, there's too much bird activity to follow. Do you look up, or do you look down?

Gray Catbird. Early in spring you can get poses out in the open like this. Later on I find this bird far more secretively visually, though their near constant singing is there for everyone to hear.