Monday, February 25, 2013

Oatka Creek Park • February 25


Pileated Woodpecker. As I walked the gloom of Oatka today, loud and nearby cries rang out from this Pileated Woodpecker. It did not take long to track down this bird!

Pileated Woodpecker. That large hole looks freshly worked. I wonder if this is the bird's roosting hole and it was making its end of the day declarations of its territory before turning in for the night.

Pileated Woodpecker. Once it noticed me (this tree is right along the trail), the woodpecker froze until I had moved on.

Pileated Woodpecker. One last shot as I walked past and left the bird to return to its previous activities.

Species Seen:

Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Northern Cardinal