Saturday, November 24, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • November 24


Great Blue Heron. It was a snow flurry / lake effect snow day. That means periods of snowfall would alternate with periods of sunshine. Standing on the bridge over Oatka Creek, I spied this heron quite a ways downstream. Unfortunately, by the time I had walked down to that vicinity along Trout Run Trail, the Great Blue was gone. However, along the way a mink popped up in front of me, only about ten feet away! It then made its furry way along the creek's bank and disappeared before I could get a picture.

Red-bellied Woodpecker. Things were very quiet with the approaching storm. This woodpecker was one of the very few birds of any kind that I encountered. The forehead is red all the way to the bill: this is a male.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Red-bellied Woodpecker