Thursday, September 13, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • September 13


Green Heron. It was a quiet night with only a fleeting look at a Chestnut-sided Warbler to break the spell until I reached the creek. From the bridge I spotted this Green Heron!

Green Heron. It was hunting and I got a video of it catching some small morsel. After gobbling it down, it was back to hunting.

Green Heron. I was able to cross the bridge and get a closer perspective without disturbing the bird.

Green Heron

Green Heron

Black-throated Green Warbler. As I walked down the creek trail, I ran into a pocket of birds of several types, i.e., a mixed flock. With the chickadees, nuthatches, and titmice was a Bay-breasted Warbler and this Black-throated Green Warbler. This is also the typical fall migration warbler perspective, leading to the joke about birders getting "Warbler Neck" this time of year. I also had five (5!) encounters with an Osprey as I walked up and down the creek. However, it was always too cagey for my camera.

Bushy Aster. These asters were small and fit the description of Bushy Aster in the field guide, though they are not usually found in New York state. However, they are found in pockets around the Great Lakes, so maybe the ID is okay. They could also be escapes from someone's gardens. These flowers were about the size of Panicled Aster flowers or about half the size of New England Aster flowers.

Dragonfly. Dragonflies are still in some abundance in the park, though butterflies are in serious decline, now, except for Cabbage Whites.

Dragonfly