Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • September 12


Brown Thrasher. A pair (at least) of noisy Brown Thrashers greeted me shortly after I left the parking lot to begin my hike. Their "smacking" calls are very distinctive once you learn them.

Brown Thrasher

White Turtlehead. This flowering plant is still hanging on along the creekside.

American Toad. This was a large toad that hopped out in front of me in the middle of the trail. (I see toads in the park in all sizes from quite small to quite large.) 

American Toad. It stayed still for a few photos and then hopped off.

New England Aster. These asters, as well as the white Panicled Asters, are now in full bloom throughout the southern half of the park. They will be peaking soon. The goldenrods are definitely past peak now and their flower heads just beginning the process of turning to seed.

And my favorite flower of them all, which is also the last to start blooming in the season, has yet to appear. Stay tuned!