Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • August 22


Belted Kingfisher. It was another relatively warm day along the creek. The kingfisher here is panting, having worked itself up flying up and and down the creek, giving warning calls to everyone that I was in the area.

Belted Kingfisher

Indigo Bunting. Today's surprise was this juvenile Indigo Bunting that producing nonstop "spitting" alarm calls when I passed by its territory along the creek. It seemed to be torn between wanting to inspect me and wanting to leave. It ending up staying on a given perch until I got a direct bead with my camera at which point it would shift perches. This continued for several moments before I became too quick at reframing the scene, at which point it left.

Great Spangled Fritillary. Joe-Pye Weed blooms are still flourishing and providing ample nectaring opportunities for the butterflies.

Indigo Bunting. On my return trip down the creek trail my new best friend came out for round two! Is that an inquisitive look or what?

Eastern Tailed-Blue. Today this small butterfly kept its distance as it flitted from White Clover to White Clover along Bluebird Trail.

Eastern Tailed-Blue. This was the best shot that clearly shows the tails and the orange spots both beneath and above the wings.