Saturday, August 11, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • August 11


Belted Kingfisher. It was a beautiful morning along the creek. There was a new bug hatch with millions of flying critters everywhere. A flock of Cedar Waxwings repeatedly zoomed through the flying mass, plucking morsels out of the air. A pair of noisy Belted Kingfishers patrolled up and down the creek as a Great Blue Heron flew overhead. Being mid morning on a sunny day, the lighting was a bit harsh along the creek, and the kingfishers were only giving me backlit shots, if they were obliging at all.

Belted Kingfisher. This was from across the creek and peeking through cracks in the foliage, lest the bird would be in flight again. As it is, it is clearly eyeing me. Several times I tried to sneak to the sunlight side of the kingfisher, only to have the bird fly off the moment I reached a favorable photographic vantage.

Belted Kingfisher. When I was composing this shot, I was shooting somewhat blind due to the distance to my subject. I was clear of leaves and branches, but I didn't realize there was a spider web in the way! Oh well.