Sunday, July 15, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • June 29


I am starting up a new business, so I don't have time to work on all my pictures like I use to. So, as a compromise, I will just work on the one or two best pictures of the outing and share those. This is what many other blogger do, and it seems to work just fine!


Song Sparrow. This is a juvenile from the buff colors in the face and lack of a central dark spot on the breast. However, everything else about it is definitely Song Sparrow! Summertime is a fun and challenging time for birders to identify all the young birds that may, or may not, have enough distinguishing characteristics to aid the process. Sometimes you have to look for nearby adults or hope you know (or can guess) which species was nesting in the area and that the young bird hasn't wandered too far from said nesting territory.