Sunday, June 3, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • May 24


Ruby-throated Hummingbird. These are my first hummingbird pictures of the season! I always get a kick out of how these birds will perch on top of a tall evergreen, as here, or on the power lines leading from the road back to the lodge (pictures of that in a future batch). These are very different perspectives than visiting a hummingbird feeder or feeding at a flower.


Ruby-throated Hummingbird. This is a blowup of the previous picture. The red throat indicates this is a male.


Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Red-eyed Vireo. Even under the leaf canopy, birds look skyward to search for predators.

Red-eyed Vireo. These are very difficult birds for me to photograph.

Eastern Towhee. By comparison, I find towhees among the easiest of birds to photograph.

Eastern Towhee

Eastern Towhee

Song Sparrow

Mallard

Indigo Bunting. These birds are surprisingly hard to see against green foliage despite their bright blue color. If you use a Kodak digital camera, you can scan the foliage and the bunting (and any other blue bird) will magically pop out against the background in the preview screen. This is a happy accident of how the image processing chain in the camera is tuned. (In some circles this is known as "Kodak Blue".) I have not tried the same trick with my Canon to see if it works.


Great Crested Flycatcher. Another rare sighting of this commonly heard bird. (Actually, I hear these bird in the woods by my house daily, too.)