Thursday, June 14, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • June 5


Yellow Warbler. This was a shortened hike today for I had to be elsewhere later to photograph the transit of Venus. Those pictures will be next!


Great Blue Heron. I was just hitting the "hot spots" on my hike, so after reaching the bridge and seeing this heron, I left the creek to head for the bluebird nesting boxes.


Eastern Bluebird


Eastern Bluebird. This juvenile was tagging along with the adult seen in the previous picture. Actually, that adult is also just out of shot to the right here.


Eastern Bluebird. Dad moved on, so junior was getting ready to follow!

Cow Vetch. I can never get enough of this purple!


Monarch. This caterpillar has antennas on both ends of its body. The pair up top in this picture are actually on its rear. One of the longer antennas visible on the lower end actually goes to its head. I was unable to find an angle where the head was visible today. It just goes that way some times!


Red-tailed Hawk. This was a nice way to end as I stood back in the parking lot.