Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • May 8


Song Sparrow. It was a cloudy day without much to suggest the walk would be other than routine.


Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Mind you, I still think a routine walk in Oatka Creek Park is a wonderful experience, regardless!


Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. Ah! This may be my first picture of an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail for the season. Due to the minimal amount of blue at the base of the tail, this appears to be a male.


Spring Azure. I am still figuring out how to get a picture of this butterfly with its wings spread.


Star-of-Bethlehem. This is one of my favorite wildflowers! It is not fully open here. When open, the six large petals and the six stamen lie flat in a perfect geometric arrangement. This flower is also known by the less poetic name of Sleepy Dick because it is only open in strong light. I have seen these flowers be mostly open when I pass them the first time and be mostly closed half an hour later if the sky has clouded up.


Eastern Phoebe. This bird certainly knew how to blend into its background!


Red Fox. Mama fox returns! She was, once again, along the creek in the same location as a few days ago. She looks at me and ...


Red Fox. Sits down! I had stopped walking, which seemed to suit her just fine.

Red Fox. I am not at full zoom so I could get her entirely in the field of view.

Red Fox. However, it was time for some portrait shots, so I maxed my zoom.


Red Fox. She was serene the whole time.


Red Fox. This is my favorite shot.


Red Fox. The sun was peaking out and it was getting warm, so ...


Red Fox. It was time for a little shut eye! She was not sleeping, per se, but certainly did not seem to feel there was need for wide-eye watchfulness.


Red Fox. Perhaps she was just shielding her eyes from the brightening conditions. After this shot, I decided to turn around and forego hiking the rest of Trout Run Trail, since she was planted firmly in the middle of the trail. She never got up and was still there until I was far enough away to lose sight of her. I have not seen her since.


Dame's Rocket. Always looking for the deepest pink flowers of this species I can!


Eastern Bluebird. Papa is keeping watch over the nestlings inside.


Baltimore Oriole. I do not seem to get many views of the back of this bird very frequently, perhaps because I am too focused on front views.