Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • May 7


Song Sparrow. This was a cloudy day just before the rains began. Still, there were a few birds out and about before I had to cut my walk short.


Dame's Rocket. This wildflower is now flourishing throughout the park in shades of white to deep pink.


Hairy Woodpecker. Yesterday I solved the mystery of the Hairy's nest along my route. As I approached the area I was puzzled that the adults were nowhere to be found. The quiet let me hear what turned out to be the nestlings from a hole in a tree right on the edge of the trail. I had enough time to match the sound with my iPod recording before the female returned, bill stuffed with food for the nestlings, calling the shrillest alarm you could imagine! I left the area, curiosity satisfied. 


Hairy Woodpecker. Not far from the first nesting area, I heard the call of nestlings again in another area that I have noted as being a Hairy Woodpecker territory. It's nice to get some confirmation of my conjectures of what is around me in the park!


Yellow Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Northern Flicker