Saturday, May 5, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • April 22


Song Sparrow. This was a dismal, lightly raining day. However, the birds were out and living their lives. Sometimes, such days are far more birdy and interesting than bright, sunny days.


Song Sparrow. Rain is no reason not to defend one's territory and attract a mate!


Virginia Bluebells. Even a rainy day can provide wonderful and unique photographic opportunities.


Virginia Bluebells


Red-bellied Woodpecker. I have frequently seen throat feathers raised while making loud territorial calls with a number of species.


Red-bellied Woodpecker


American Mink. When I saw this soaked mink, I momentarily thought it was a shame it had gotten so wet and disheveled. I then did a figurative dope slap when I realized this animal spends a significant part of its life this wet in the creek regardless of the weather.


American Mink. "It's wet out? I hadn't noticed."


Mallard. It was perfect weather for ducks!


Eastern Towhee. You can see the rain and the beads of water on the bird's feathers. The towhee was warm and dry under its feathers and it was out and about its business regardless.


Eastern Towhee. Perhaps my presence was its biggest concern at the moment!