Saturday, March 10, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • March 9


Hi Julia!


Northern Cardinal. Cardinals were singing in large numbers throughout the park today.


Tufted Titmouse


Northern Flicker. Flickers were singing in large numbers today, too. Suddenly, one has to listen to the woodpecker songs more closely to tell the difference between flicker and Pileated Woodpecker. At one point both species were singing at the same time, which made the difference obvious.


Northern Flicker


Eastern Bluebird. As this female perched along the dirt road across from the upper soccer field, I kept hearing another bluebird as if it was on my right shoulder ...


Eastern Bluebird. I carefully turned and there was the male close at hand. It didn't seem to care that I was there as I long as I didn't make any sudden movements.


OTHER NOTES: I had my first Song Sparrow of the season along Oatka Creek today. It was singing up a storm!


Canada Goose  200
Mallard  2
Ring-billed Gull  7
Mourning Dove  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  4
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  12
Black-capped Chickadee  5
Tufted Titmouse  6
Eastern Bluebird  3
American Robin  10
Song Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  2
Dark-eyed Junco  1
Northern Cardinal  12
Red-winged Blackbird  9
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  3