Monday, January 30, 2012

Ontario Beach and Charlotte Pier • January 30


Ontario Beach and Charlotte Pier, Monroe, US-NY
Jan 30, 2012
Protocol: Incidental
Comments:     It was a mostly cloudy 29F noontime stop at Charlotte Pier. Long-tailed Duck numbers were way down with only a small, loose raft of about thirty ducks by the base of Summerville Pier. The rest of the water on either side of both piers was devoid of birds. Even gulls were sparse and far upstream of the piers. Thinking this lack of hunting opportunities boded ill for finding the Snowy Owl, I headed down Charlotte Pier, scanning all the usual perching locations. The new layer of snow plus ice cleats strapped to my shoes made the footing perfectly stable and comfortable. After about the sixth time scanning Summerville Pier from end to end, I finally found the Snowy tucked against the first post past the steps separating the two parts of the pier. From the base of the pier the owl was perfectly hidden and it was only after I had walked out some way that she was revealed. I was able to walk down far enough to be directly across from the Snowy, where I took my pictures and a video. She only looked at me once and clearly dismissed me in favor of searching for whatever meal may be floating nearby.


Snowy Owl

Snowy Owl

Snowy Owl

Snowy Owl

1 species


Snowy Owl  1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)