Monday, January 9, 2012

Ontario Beach and Charlotte Pier • January 9


Ontario Beach and Charlotte Pier, Monroe, US-NY
Jan 9, 2012
Protocol: Traveling
1.7 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a mostly sunny 39F noontime walk in Ontario Beach Park and Charlotte Pier today. The Snowy Owl was on the roof of one of the apartment buildings east of the Coast Guard station. I felt the view from Summerville Pier would be blocked by the building edge, so I just enjoyed the view from Charlotte Pier. I decided to tick off some common water bird species on my year list today, so I took to the task of surveying the park and waters. The best encounter was with a small group of Long-tailed Ducks near the pier where I stood. A couple of the males were engaging in Bill-Tossing and 'ahr-ahr-ahroulit' vocalizations. I caught the act on video, though the sound of the wind muted the recorded calls somewhat.


Long-tailed Ducks

Long-tailed Ducks

Mallard

Red-breasted Merganser

Red-breasted Merganser

Snowy Owl

Ring-billed Gull

Ring-billed Gull

Video of Long-tailed Ducks: http://youtu.be/G1iUC9LThlI


8 species


Mute Swan  1
Mallard  45
Long-tailed Duck  7
Red-breasted Merganser  1
Ring-billed Gull  55
Great Black-backed Gull  2
Rock Pigeon  6
Snowy Owl  1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)