Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • January 31


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Jan 31, 2012
Protocol: Traveling
4.5 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a cloudy 56F hike in Oatka today. The unseasonably warm weather seemed to have a number of birds in a springtime mode. Most notable to me was finding a pair of Brown Creepers in the woods along Black Billed Cuckoo Trail. The birds were together, so I wonder if this was some kind of warm weather area movement, as I've only seen lone Creepers of late. I also found a pair of White-breasted Nuthatches, though pairs of nuthatches have not been unusual in the park this winter. The White-throated Sparrows were active and constantly moving around, making counts difficult. Finally, along Bluebird Trail in a patch of woods, a previously undetected Downy Woodpecker called right next to my left ear and I turned in time to see it squeeze itself into a cavity in a slender tree by my side.  I waited for a few minutes to see if the woodpecker would reemerge from that or another cavity in the tree, but there was no encore. Either it was waiting for me to be good and gone or that was where it was going to roost for the night. Either way, it was a pleasant encounter!


White-breasted Nuthatch

White-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Brown Creeper

Brown Creeper

American Red Squirrel

10 species


Canada Goose  50
Ring-billed Gull  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
American Crow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  7
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Brown Creeper  2
White-throated Sparrow  9
Northern Cardinal  2


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)