Monday, January 23, 2012

Oatka Creek Park • January 23


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Jan 23, 2012
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a mostly cloudy 48F hike in Oatka today. The sun would break through the clouds a few times, though the sunset would be obscured. It was a quiet evening with mostly the woodpeckers holding down the fort, though in low numbers. Chickadees and White-throated Sparrows would announce their presence from time to time. The best encounter was at the end as I walked back down the dirt road towards the parking lot. Across the lower soccer field I heard the distinctive mewing of a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. As there was no intervening cover available, I walked across the length of the field to the edge of the park property and scanned the trees in the adjacent private lot. I couldn't find the woodpecker due to the fading light of day, but I was able to match its continuing call perfectly with my iPod recording. Due to a number of recent sightings, I'm beginning to wonder how long this bird is going to hang around. I hope it's for some time yet!


Hairy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

13 species


Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
American Crow  12
Black-capped Chickadee  7
American Robin  2
White-throated Sparrow  8
Dark-eyed Junco  1
Northern Cardinal  6
American Goldfinch  3


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)