Friday, December 9, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • December 9


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Dec 9, 2011 8:32 AM - 11:19 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.5 mile(s)
Comments:     It was snowing and 33F when I arrived for an early morning birding hike in Oatka today. By the end of the 2.75 hour hike the snow would be melted, the sky would be a hazy blue and the conditions about as idyllic as it gets in December for the park. My target was the possible Varied Thrush, which I did not find despite combing the park more thoroughly that usual. (I did concentrate my search in the northern portion of the park along the creek.) There was a lot of crow activity, though I could never catch up with the center of activity before it moved on. (I was not trying very hard, as I was focused on recovering the possible Varied.) Unbeknownst to me, apparently Brad Carlson was in the park at the same time and did catch up with the center of the crow attention: a Great Horned Owl. A pair of Eastern Bluebirds were flying large circles over Warbler Loop, calling all the while. Northern Flickers were in good supply today and a Carolina Wren gave me a nice photo-op along the creekside. Robins were in large numbers today and a few even broke into song at one point. The Winter Wren also continues along the creek.


Red-bellied Woodpecker

Blue Jay

Black Billed Cuckoo Trail

Northern Flicker

Northern Flicker

Northern Cardinal

Carolina Wren

Carolina Wren

Beaver lodges

Northern Cardinal

19 species


Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  5
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  13
Black-capped Chickadee  13
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  1
Winter Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  40
European Starling  6
White-throated Sparrow  1
Dark-eyed Junco  3
Northern Cardinal  7
American Goldfinch  3


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)