Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • December 20


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Dec 20, 2011 8:11 AM - 10:29 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.1 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a mostly clear and sunny 38F early morning birding hike in Oatka today. The sky was clouded as I got out of my car in the parking lot, but within an hour the sky would completely clear and the sun would shine for the rest of the hike. The park was profoundly quiet today. I am astonished my checklist is as long as it is, though under careful review each species was definitely detected. The crows were active today, though I always seemed to be in a different part of the park except for one encounter. As I approached the dam ruins along Trout Run Trail, I came upon two crows hunting for the last molecules of food from a deer carcass that has been scavenged to near disintegration. (Even a great deal of the bones have been 'recycled'.) The crows were unhappy with my presence and let me have it with both barrels of audio abuse. I passed them by, reached the turnaround at the end of the trail and headed back. I got a second dose from the crows on my return trip. Robins were very active and vocal today, though only in small pockets within the park. Flocks of Cedar Waxwings, Dark-eyed Juncos, and starlings pass through at one point or another. A pair of calling Eastern Bluebirds made their way across the sky over Warbler Loop and a Pileated Woodpecker gave me a low and long flyover over Bluebird Trail. As I was ready to make the final turn through the woods to take the dirt road back to the parking lot, another Pileated Woodpecker detected my approach (at range) and its calls flushed a Red-tailed Hawk. Finally, robins and titmice were frequently singing today, presenting a bit of an odd juxtaposition with the first day of winter being just days away.


White-tailed Deer

White-tailed Deer

American Red Squirrel

American Red Squirrel

American Red Squirrel

Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

White-breasted Nuthatch

18 species


Red-tailed Hawk  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Blue Jay  7
American Crow  12
Black-capped Chickadee  8
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  40
European Starling  13
Cedar Waxwing  15
White-throated Sparrow  3
Dark-eyed Junco  12
Northern Cardinal  4
House Sparrow  1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)