Sunday, December 18, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • December 17


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Dec 17, 2011 8:12 AM - 10:26 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a snowy and breezy 26F early morning birding hike in Oatka today. The walk started out in full snowfall but eventually evolved to a long period of only the merest of snow flurries. There were brief intervals of sun, too. It was interesting to hear chickadees singing ('fee-bee') during the snowiest and gloomiest portions of the hike. Along Black Billed Cuckoo Trail I found the pair of Pileated Woodpeckers (male and female) busily working their territory for food. They were wary of me as I took pictures and video, even though I was at range with my camera at full 30x zoom. If one happened to move too deeply into foliage, all I had to do was shift my weight ever so slightly for them to pop back into view to see what I was up to. Bluebirds were flying over the fields of the southern portion of the park. At one point I stepped into the copse along Bluebird Trail and tried my screech owl imitation. Two bluebirds immediately flew into the copse, but at the tops of the tallest trees in a way that did not produce a photo-op. Finally, near the beginning of the hike along Sapsucker Trail I began hearing the squeals of a Northern Flicker. However, they were odd enough in execution and frequency that I began to wonder if it might not be a flicker. Fortunately, I caught up with the bird and took several pictures. Looks like it was a standard issue Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker that just needed voice lessons.


Northern Cardinal

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

American Red Squirrel

Pileated Woodpecker

15 species


Mourning Dove  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  4
Northern Flicker  4
Pileated Woodpecker  2
American Crow  9
Black-capped Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  3
Eastern Bluebird  4
American Robin  22
Cedar Waxwing  3
White-throated Sparrow  4
Dark-eyed Junco  2
Northern Cardinal  2
American Goldfinch  4


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)