Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • December 13


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Dec 13, 2011 8:21 AM - 10:44 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.2 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a sunny and mostly clear sky 30F early morning birding hike in Oatka today. Exiting my car at the parking lot, a solitary Eastern Bluebird made a long flight across the sky and over my head, calling all the while. Beginning my walk down the dirt road towards the woods, the calls of additional bluebirds drew me to a sunlit portion of the woods at the northern end of the soccer fields. As I approached the area juncos suddenly began pouring up from the ground and a Hermit Thrush started calling. I then spotted the darting forms of Eastern Bluebirds in the tree branches. The bluebirds and thrush were too elusive for the camera, but the juncos agreed to a photo-op. As I entered the woods a deep quiet descended that was only disturbed the fewest of times for the remainder of the walk. The big highlight was hearing then seeing a Belted Kingfisher down by the creek. I got two separate photo-ops of the bird which turned out to be a juvenile female. In a bit of a Groundhog Day effect, as I approached the location along the creek where yesterday I saw a Red-tailed Hawk chased off by two crows, I saw a virtual repeat with a Red-tailed Hawk being chased off by two crows from the same location. The Winter Wren continuing along the creek completed the noteworthy sightings.


Dark-eyed Junco

Dark-eyed Junco

White-tailed Deer

Belted Kingfisher

Belted Kingfisher

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Belted Kingfisher

20 species


Red-tailed Hawk  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  4
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  10
Black-capped Chickadee  9
Tufted Titmouse  6
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Winter Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  3
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  5
White-throated Sparrow  3
Dark-eyed Junco  10
American Goldfinch  3
House Sparrow  1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)