Monday, December 12, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • December 12


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Dec 12, 2011 8:06 AM - 10:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.2 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a sunny and clear sky 30F early morning birding hike in Oatka today. It was generally a very quiet morning with some interesting episodes. It was a good day for raptors with a Cooper's Hawk perched by the park entrance and an extended encounter with a Red-tailed Hawk down by the creek. In the case of the Cooper's, it was perched essentially over the road and low. I couldn't believe it and as there were no other cars on the road at the time, I stopped and backed up a bit so I could get a good look at the hawk through my windshield from only maybe six feet away. It didn't care in the least. I continued on, parked my car, got set up for my birding run and then, with camera ready, crept back to the park entrance. I got one picture before the Cooper's flushed. Along Trout Run Trail by the creek I spotted a cautious Red-tailed Hawk perched high in the trees. We played hide-and-seek as I maneuvered for pictures and it kept changing perches to hide from me. Then a crow landed above the hawk as if it were a scout for the others. It briefly sparred with the hawk, but they both remained perched on the same tree. Then a second crow arrived and it was time to rumble! The Red-tail took off, screaming the whole way with the crows in pursuit. Bluebirds were elusive today, though their calls were in the air throughout the southern part of the park. On the walk down the dirt road back to the parking lot I finally spied a bluebird nestled deep in one of the staghorn sumac bushes. It evaded all my efforts for a picture. In a bit of frustrated 'why not?' I tried my Screech Owl call. Jackpot! Four bluebirds came out of nowhere and were very alert to my calls. They still avoided my camera lens, but that was okay as I began to hear two previously undetected Hermit Thrushes. One gave me an excellent photo-op, and I called it even. It was a pretty good morning after all.


Cooper's Hawk

Hairy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

American Red Squirrel

American Red Squirrel

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

White-tailed Deer. This deer was watching me from atop the far bank of the creek ...

White-tailed Deer atop Oatka Creek. Can you see the deer near the center of the ridge? Click the picture for a larger version. Look at the next picture for the answer!


White-tailed Deer atop Oatka Creek

White-breasted Nuthatch

White-breasted Nuthatch

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Hermit Thrush

Hermit Thrush

21 species


Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  11
Black-capped Chickadee  7
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Winter Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  3
Eastern Bluebird  6
Hermit Thrush  2
American Robin  2
White-throated Sparrow  7
Dark-eyed Junco  2
Northern Cardinal  7
American Goldfinch  4


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)