Saturday, November 5, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • November 5


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Nov 5, 2011 8:15 AM - 10:32 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a brilliantly sunny and 22F perfect autumn sunrise birding hike in Oatka today. Bird activity was light, though the glorious weather conditions more than compensated. Over half the species found today were first spotted or heard along the dirt road leading from the parking lot to the woods. A Red-winged Blackbird was 'konkeree'ing from the cattails and a Pileated Woodpecker was calling out for all the park to hear. Stepping onto Brown Creeper Trail, I spotted a Red-tailed Hawk perched in one of the trees just ahead of me. As I froze and took several pictures, I couldn't tell if it had noticed me or not due to the dark shadows in the area. I was amused to see in my pictures at home it was staring directly at me the whole time. Later along that trail a bird that looked like a Blue-headed Vireo appeared briefly in the shrubbery, but refused to let me get a clear look at its head. So, all I had was the sunny yellow flanks, white belly, dark wings with yellowish-white wing bars and a plump silhouette of the right size. Nothing about it looked like a goldfinch, though I seriously entertained that ID at the time. Along Trout Run Trail by the creek a Winter Wren popped up from the undergrowth to beat me hands down in hide-and-seek. Finally, first along the creek and then later over the fields of Bluebird Trail I heard the flight calls of Eastern Bluebirds. Great morning!


Red-tailed Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

White-throated Sparrow

Canada Geese

Fall Colors

21 species


Canada Goose  1000
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  5
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  23
Black-capped Chickadee  8
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Winter Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  8
White-throated Sparrow  11
Dark-eyed Junco  3
Red-winged Blackbird  1
American Goldfinch  10


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)