Saturday, November 26, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • November 26


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Nov 26, 2011 8:02 AM - 10:32 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.8 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a cloudy and 47F early morning birding hike in Oatka today. The sun threatened to break through from time to time, but never really made it. Befitting a cloudy morning, the bird activity picked up a bit compared to the past few days. I heard a bluebird as soon as I exited the car upon arrival. The woods of Black Billed Cuckoo Trail, which during the winter I call Pileated Woodpecker Woods, produced the far off call of a Pileated Woodpecker. As I was annotating the observation, I noticed some nearby heavy tapping. I looked up and there was a second Pileated, under my nose, so to speak. The two birds briefly exchanged calls and the nearby bird returned to feeding, as it seemed to have found a productive cache of insects. Cardinals were everywhere along Warbler Loop, as were White-throated Sparrows. Along the creek, I ran into a good-sized mixed flock with quite a number of species. As the flock seemed to materialize around me, a very annoying squirrel started chattering and scolding in my ear. However, when I looked up, it wasn't a squirrel, but a Winter Wren. The smallest birds can make the loudest noises! Finally, the wren settled down into more standard two-note calls. On the way back down the dirt road at the end of the walk, I spotted a Northern Mockingbird enjoying the grapes in the bordering vines. It played peek-a-boo in the dense tangle for a while, but finally popped into the open for some nice pictures.

Pileated Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Winter Wren

White-throated Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Northern Mockingbird

Northern Mockingbird

Northern Mockingbird


24 species


Great Blue Heron  1
Ring-billed Gull  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  10
Black-capped Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  1
Winter Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  3
American Robin  9
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  8
White-throated Sparrow  13
Dark-eyed Junco  1
Northern Cardinal  6
American Goldfinch  5
House Sparrow  1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)