Monday, November 21, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • November 21


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Nov 21, 2011 3:19 PM - 4:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.6 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a sunny and 41F late afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. It was a good night for woodpeckers with a number of Pileated Woodpeckers calling throughout the woods of Black Billed Cuckoo Trail. (I put two in eBird, but there may have three or four. They kept moving around.) As I walked along the side of the creek on Trout Run Trail, I spotted an American Mink swimming to the far bank and then quickly disappearing in the undergrowth. Further on I found a Great Blue Heron wading in the water. It eyed me warily, but it did not launch. I took several pictures and left the area. On the return trip it was still there and continued to hold its ground as I passed. I was pleased that I was able to avoid flushing the heron.


Pileated Woodpecker

American Robin

White-throated Sparrow

American Goldfinch

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

17 species


Canada Goose  50
Great Blue Heron  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1     North Road by Union Street, north of Oatka Creek Park
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  2
American Crow  21
Black-capped Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
American Robin  25
Cedar Waxwing  1
White-throated Sparrow  10
American Goldfinch  2


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)