Friday, November 18, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • November 18


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Nov 18, 2011 3:10 PM - 5:05 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.3 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a clear and sunny, 41F late afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. It was a quiet day similar to recent outings. I found the Winter Wren (or did it find me?) along Trout Run Trail. Well, it sounded like I was standing right on top of it, though no amount of searching revealed the source of the 'dit-dit's. I eventually took a step in the wrong direction and the bird was off. On the reverse trip the wren would find me again, but didn't hang around as before. As I recrossed the bridge over the creek with the sun just a ruddy smear peeking through the trees, a bird in a nearby willow tree caught my attention. It turned out to be a Golden-crowned Kinglet that was staying within a couple arms length. As I snapped some poor pictures in the low light, a Great Blue Heron launched from upstream and flew overhead at low altitude. The other fun event was spishing for sparrows along Warbler Loop and not having much luck. I then did my lame screech owl imitation and, wow!, sparrows came pouring up from the shrubs and into the open to get a look at the mock predator!


White-throated Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

White-breasted Nuthatch

American Red Squirrel

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Golden-crowned Kinglet

18 species


Canada Goose  100
Great Blue Heron  1
Ring-billed Gull  6
Mourning Dove  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  2
American Crow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  9
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Winter Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1
American Robin  10
White-throated Sparrow  8
Northern Cardinal  4


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)