Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • November 15


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Nov 15, 2011 3:10 PM - 5:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.2 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a mostly cloudy and 58F late afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. Though a large number of usual species checked in during the walk from the parking lot to the woods, I was anticipating a quiet outing. It turned out to be fairly interesting, largely in part due to the creek environs. As I crossed the bridge over the creek and stepped onto Trout Run Trail, the insistent dit-dit's of a Winter Wren burst onto the scene. The bird was perched in the open atop a snag by the water's edge. I got a very nice photo-op of what Bob Marcotte recently called on his blog a mouse with wings . Thinking that was it for the tonight's excitement, I strolled down the trail a bit more and then did a double take as I passed a nearby Great Blue Heron. It was so close that I couldn't go to full zoom on my camera and fit the entire bird in the field of view. (I did get some full zooms of its head.) Again, the bird was uncharacteristically cooperative and when I finally lowered my camera, it only then launched into flight. Finally, as I reached the far end of the trail, a Red-tailed Hawk flushed that had been perching over the creek. It is a common location for hawks to perch throughout winter, though I've never figured out why that particular spot along the creek is so inviting. Perhaps I'll solve that riddle this winter.


Oatka Creek

Winter Wren

Winter Wren

Winter Wren

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

Mallards

Mallard

White-tailed Deer

22 species


Canada Goose  10
Mallard  2
Great Blue Heron  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  4
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  4
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  7
Black-capped Chickadee  9
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Winter Wren  2
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
American Robin  7
White-throated Sparrow  3
Northern Cardinal  1
American Goldfinch  3
House Sparrow  1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)