Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Durand-Eastman Park--Zoo Road • November 15


Durand-Eastman Park--Zoo Road, Monroe, US-NY
Nov 15, 2011 12:06 PM - 12:39 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.2 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a cloudy and 57F noontime walk down Zoo Road in Durand Eastman Park today. The highlight was approaching an area that was filled with the sound of *a lot* of Cedar Waxwings. I only saw a few waxwings diving across the road, and those were eschewing the crabapples for the adjacent yew berry-like cones. However, I couldn't find the main flock, though I felt I was right on top of them. Then a car came down the road, so I moved off the road onto the bordering grass. Unknowingly, I must have walked right under the flock as there was a sudden *WHOOOSH* and 50+ Cedar Waxwings erupted as one and flew off in a tight formation. My other highlight was finding a Red-breasted Nuthatch, as I almost never see this species at Oatka.


Cedar Waxwing among the yew cones

Mourning Dove

Eastern Gray Squirrel

12 species


Ring-billed Gull  2
Mourning Dove  14
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  5
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
American Robin  30
Cedar Waxwing  50
Northern Cardinal  1
American Goldfinch  2


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)