Saturday, October 1, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • September 30


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Sep 30, 2011 3:24 PM - 5:52 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.1 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a cloudy and occasionally sprinkling, 61F late afternoon hike in Oatka today. Such gloomy conditions seemed to bring all the birds out to play! The walk in along the dirt road supported a good number of birds that were feeding in the trees, though none seemed to be warblers. Warbler Loop was interesting with my first of *many* Black-throated Green Warblers tonight. Some persistent whisper spishing popped up a towhee and several White-throated Sparrows. Interestingly, a lone Tree Swallow flew overhead as I headed for the creek. The creek was oddly quiet, though I spotted a Great Blue Heron, a kingfisher, and a Common Merganser. Back at the parking lot I would learn a possible explanation for the quiet as a Bald Eagle was spotted down by the creek at roughly the same time I was there. However, the sighting was a bit closer to Union Street than the end of Trout Run Trail, so I may have been screened by the intervening trees. Eventually reaching Bluebird Trail and expecting utter silence, I got just about the exact opposite. As I entered the field, 20+ yellow birds in a flock flew from the goldenrod and large bushes along the trail to tall shrubs just 20 or so feet in front of me. As I scanned the trees with binoculars, I saw Nashville, Black-throated Green, and Tennessee Warblers. At one point the Nashvilles posed for pictures, though the prevailing photographic conditions were atrocious. I then noticed a large flock of chickadees and titmice in the area, filling the air with their calls. As I slowly moved along the trail, this large flock of warblers actually followed me down the trail quite a long way by moving from large bush to large bush. It made me wonder who was the watcher and who was the watchee. Back in the parking lot as I was hearing about the eagle, I saw a Magnolia Warbler in the hedges along the dirt road. Excellent night for birds!


American Crows

Eastern Towhee

White-throated Sparrow

Eastern Gray Squirrel

Black-throated Green Warbler

Tennessee Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Tennessee Warbler

Tennessee Warbler

Tennessee Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Nashville Warbler

29 species


Canada Goose  10
Common Merganser  1
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  4
Mourning Dove  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  4
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  8
Tree Swallow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  11
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
American Robin  6
Gray Catbird  2
Tennessee Warbler  3
Nashville Warbler  2
Magnolia Warbler  1
Black-throated Green Warbler  7
Eastern Towhee  1
Song Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  7
Northern Cardinal  1
American Goldfinch  2


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)