Saturday, October 1, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • September 27


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Sep 27, 2011 3:54 PM - 6:16 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.2 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a mostly cloudy and 75F late afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. It was a good night, perhaps the best migrant night of the season that I have had. The fun began along Warbler Loop as I found my first White-throated Sparrows of the season in Oatka. I followed them into Theater of the Birds where some persistent spishing popped up a female towhee. As I crossed the bridge over the creek, a kingfisher raised an alarm and flew down the creek, passing underneath where I was standing. Shortly after moving down Trout Run Trail, a pair of chickadees brought a Black-throated Green Warbler with them. The neck was faded, but the identification certain. On the return pass I detected call notes that I thought belonged to a Common Yellowthroat that has been hanging around that area of the trail. Lightly spishing into the bushes near the ground, I was frustrated that the bird did not pop up like normal. Finally giving up, I looked up and a male Black-throated Green Warbler in still mostly breeding plumage dropped down to eye level and was unobstructed a mere fifteen feet away. I then realized I had collected a rather diverse pocket of warblers overhead from my spishing! Magnolia and Blackburnian Warblers joined the party, with the latter being the source of the supposed yellowthroat call notes. Concentrating on whisper spishing and the soft call notes of the warblers, I was somewhat jarred by the sudden eruption of "teakettle - teakettle - teakettle" from a nearby Carolina Wren. Still, it was an appropriate bookend for tonight's birding.


Eastern Towhee

Solitary Sandpiper

White-tailed Deer. This young deer found itself suddenly trapped between me and the creek behind it. I moved down the trail a little and it finally figured out how to escape into the neighboring woods.

22 species


Great Blue Heron  1
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  6
Black-capped Chickadee  8
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Carolina Wren  1
American Robin  3
Gray Catbird  1
Magnolia Warbler  2
Blackburnian Warbler  2
Black-throated Green Warbler  2
Eastern Towhee  2
White-throated Sparrow  4
Northern Cardinal  1
American Goldfinch  2


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)