Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • October 4


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Oct 4, 2011 3:26 PM - 5:43 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.3 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a mostly sunny and 61F early afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. A cross country meet was being held, so I stuck to the trails not used by the runners. Things were relatively quiet until I reached the creek. As I crossed over the bridge, I heard then saw a Yellow-rumped Warbler about a foot off of the ground by the bank of a creek near a small side pool. At the end of Trout Run Trail I watched as an immature Great Blue Heron inspected me from across the creek and then flew off and perched in a tree out of sight downstream. Coming back along the stream I pickup a Carolina Wren, a pair of Golden-crowned Kinglets, and a Song Sparrow. As I recrossed the bridge, a Winter Wren called out from the far bank. After completing my crossing and hunting around the nearby vegetation, I found the wren, always on the move! Moving through Warbler Loop, a Blackpoll Warbler popped up, as did a couple catbirds and White-throated Sparrows. As I left the loop, a towhee called out. Things quieted down until I was finishing up Bluebird Trail in a wooded section when a Red-tailed Hawk launched in front of me from a low perch well below the treetops. Pretty good night!


Red-bellied Woodpecker

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

28 species


Canada Goose  2
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Ring-billed Gull  4
Mourning Dove  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  6
American Crow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  6
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  1
Winter Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
American Robin  4
Gray Catbird  2
Blackpoll Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
Eastern Towhee  1
Song Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  6
Northern Cardinal  2


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)