Sunday, October 2, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • October 2


Hi Julia!


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Oct 2, 2011 1:00 PM - 3:32 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.4 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a mostly cloudy and 47F early afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. The storm that dumped rain in the area all morning finally cleared the park by 1 PM as I sat in my car watching a large flock of starlings move about in a corn field across from the park entrance. Bird activity was light as I left my car, but when I reached Warbler Loop I found it extremely active. By the time I had reached the Theater of the Birds, I was being trailed by half a dozen White-throated Sparrows which, in turn, attracted a pair of towhees, a Blackpoll Warbler, and a Philadelphia Vireo. I got excellent looks of the vireo and when it dropped back into the shrubbery, it gave a brief vireo up and down song at a relatively high pitch. When I stepped onto the bridge over the creek, I heard then saw a number of Ruby-crowned Kinglets in the willow tree on the far side. Traveling along Trout Run Trail I caught up with a Winter Wren that played peekaboo with me for a while. I also heard a Carolina Wren and found an Eastern Phoebe. A pair of Belted Kingfishers rattled alarms up and down the creek, possibly spoiling my chances at spotting other species. Back in the fields of the western side of the park things quieted down until I entered the woods between the eastern and western fields along Bluebird Trail. There I spotted at least one Golden-crowned Kinglet. On the way out by way of the field in front of the lodge I saw a Red-tailed Hawk and a Turkey Vulture sharing the same thermal. Finally, on the drive home near the Stottle Road bridge over Black Creek I saw a Wild Turkey foraging in a grass lawn near the road.


White-tailed Deer

American Robin

Gray Catbird

White-throated Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Eastern Towhee

Eastern Towhee

Blackpoll Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Mallards

Red-tailed Hawk

28 species


Canada Goose  55
Mallard  6
Wild Turkey  1     By Stottle Road near bridge over Black Creek
Turkey Vulture  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Eastern Phoebe  1
Philadelphia Vireo  1
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  5
Black-capped Chickadee  6
Tufted Titmouse  4
Carolina Wren  1
Winter Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  3
American Robin  2
Gray Catbird  2
European Starling  300
Blackpoll Warbler  3
Eastern Towhee  2
Song Sparrow  5
White-throated Sparrow  6
Northern Cardinal  3
American Goldfinch  1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)