Saturday, October 15, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • October 15


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Oct 15, 2011 12:03 PM - 2:05 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.4 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a rainy and 48F early afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. My walk was a drenching one except for the last half hour. The wind was very light and mostly unnoticeable, despite dire weather predictions to the contrary. A very soggy looking Mourning Dove sat on the utility lines by the park entrance as I arrived. White-throated Sparrows monitored my progress practically everywhere along my route. At Theater of the Birds along Warbler Loop I briefly scanned the area and did not see any birds. I started spishing and quickly stopped as an unnoticed Blackpoll Warbler dropped down from an exposed perch into the shrubs. Fortunately, after a moment of silence the bird returned to its perch and permitted a photo-op. I would find three more Blackpolls along my walk. The creek was productive with nine new species as well as more of previously spotted species. By the dam ruins I nearly tripped over a Winter Wren who gave me two great poses during moments my camera was incapacitated due to all the precipitation. Later, I came upon a pocket of birds that included a Golden-crowned Kinglet with just about the brightest and largest orange crown I have even seen. With the prevailing gloomy conditions the burst of color was remarkable. In the wooded stretch between large fields along Bluebird Trail I ran into another large pocket of birds consisting of mainly American Robins with a few Yellow-rumped Warblers and Eastern Towhees. Back at the parking lot, a pair of Turkey Vultures flew low over the soccer fields.


Blackpoll Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

White-tailed Deer hiding in the goldenrod along Bluebird Trail

White-tailed Deer

21 species


Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  2
Mourning Dove  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  2
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  9
Black-capped Chickadee  11
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Winter Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
American Robin  10
Blackpoll Warbler  4
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Eastern Towhee  2
White-throated Sparrow  16
Northern Cardinal  2
American Goldfinch  1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)