Saturday, October 1, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • October 1


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Oct 1, 2011 9:12 AM - 11:36 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.3 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a cloudy, rainy, windy, and cold 46F late morning birding hike in Oatka today. Despite the uncomfortable conditions, it was an excellent morning for birds! The highlight was walking out onto the bridge over the creek and seeing a mallard fly across my path absolutely silently. I had always thought wing whistles were involuntary sources of sound, but now I've seen it enough times that a bird can mute these sounds if required. I had my camera ready and clearly suspected what was next, but I was still transfixed by the immature Bald Eagle that approached the bridge at speed in the general direction of the fleeing duck. The eagle saw me and altered course to put the treetops of the far bank between it and me as it continued downstream, paralleling the creek. I failed miserably at getting any kind of a picture. :-) This was, no doubt, the bird reported to me last night and looked just like the immature eagle I had along Bluebird Trail back in mid August. Perhaps this is a youngster trying to make a go of it in this area. Trout Run Trail was very birdy with my first Golden-crowned Kinglet of the season for the park, as well as my first Yellow-rumped Warblers of the season for the park. I found the Common Yellowthroat again and was pleasantly surprised to find a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the park this late in the season. An Eastern Phoebe popped up to a perch along the southern bank in an area preferred by phoebes. It would later give me a couple 'FEE-bee' calls and a nice photo-op. Finally, having walked the length of Trout Run Trail and back again, as I neared the bridge I noticed a large flock of Northern Rough-winged Swallows that must have landed in this one tree by the creek while I was at the far end of the trail. They weren't there when I first passed the area. Most of the birds were perched in very tight clusters and a few were skimming the surface of the creek looking for food. The plumage of the perched birds was fluffed up against the elements, so perhaps they were forced down by the inclement weather? The remainder of the hike was relatively quiet, though there were a lot of quiet chip notes and other calls from the vegetation. I chose not to spish anyone up today due to the weather.


Mallards

Song Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Tennessee Warbler

Tennessee Warbler

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Northern Rough-winged Swallows

Eastern Phoebe

26 species


Canada Goose  80
Mallard  7
Great Blue Heron  1
Bald Eagle  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  2
Eastern Phoebe  1
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  4
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  25
Black-capped Chickadee  4
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
American Robin  2
Gray Catbird  1
Common Yellowthroat  1
Blackpoll Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Eastern Towhee  2
Song Sparrow  5
Northern Cardinal  1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
American Goldfinch  1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)