Friday, September 2, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • September 2


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Sep 2, 2011 3:24 PM - 5:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.5 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a mostly sunny and 86F late afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. It was a hot one today, though if one looked in the wooded areas and along the creek, the birds were around. Spishing drew in a Black-and-white Warbler in a deeply wooded portion of Brown Creeper Trail. I got awesome looks and a partially successful picture. Well, the head is hidden behind a branch, but the rest of the body is perfectly visible and in focus. :-/ Near the junction of Brown Creeper and Gypsum Hollow Trails, I crept up on a pair of industrious Hairy Woodpeckers. Too successfully, perhaps, because they did not notice me until I was well within their comfort range. (I had not spotted them yet. I only heard their tapping.) They exploded in an extreme panic that left me feeling badly that I had upset them so. A second unusual event occurred along Trout Run Trail by the creek. I was spishing up some chickadees when an Eastern Phoebe, in a hurry to zip through the area to see what the commotion was all about, face-planted into a tree in front of me! However, this was no window strike. It fluttered back a couple of inches, altered its direction, and made a successful second pass by the tree, all without losing any appreciable altitude. It even came back and perched in front of me briefly to give me a once over and then it was off for good. Probably a juvenile ...


Black-and-white Warbler

Cedar Waxwing

Mallards

Giant Swallowtail

Spotted Sandpiper

Belted Kingfisher

Common Buckeye


27 species


Mallard  4
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Mourning Dove  2
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  7
Eastern Phoebe  1
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  6
Tree Swallow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  9
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
American Robin  2
Gray Catbird  7
Cedar Waxwing  15
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Eastern Towhee  1
Chipping Sparrow  7
Song Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  4
American Goldfinch  3


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)