Saturday, July 30, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • July 30

Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Jul 30, 2011 6:27 AM - 9:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.4 mile(s)
Comments:     It was a sunny and 65F sunrise birding hike in Oatka today. This morning was a pretty remarkable birding run with my species count already at 22 before leaving the woods that have been so quiet in the afternoons of late. A Warbling Vireo was back on the list, along with a Great Crested Flycatcher and a Hooded Warbler. The Ovenbird continues to hang in there, too. In Warbler Loop were a pair of singing Alder Flycatchers and more Yellow Warblers than I've seen in a while. I was cringing as I approached the creek, for I'd seen all the cars of the fishermen as I had approached the park and was thinking a creek filled with fishermen would kill the birding. However, despite all the fishermen, it was a bit of a banner morning! I had my first Osprey of the season calling at the east end of the creek near Union Street. I may have heard a second Osprey, but couldn't confirm that. (There was a pair along the creek last year.) I also had my first Belted Kingfisher along the creek in some time. As I was chatting with a fisherman standing in the creek, the kingfisher flew behind his head, maybe only five feet away. I asked him if he had realized this had just happened and he said no. :-) I heard the Yellow-billed Cuckoo again for quite some time from the woods north of the creek near the bridge. However, the area was inaccessible, even if I were to bushwhack it with abandon. Out along the fields of Black Billed Cuckoo Trail, a Scarlet Tanager chick-burred away and a silent Brown Thrasher popped up for a few minutes. All this was nicely capped with a Ruby-throated Hummingbird perched on one of the utility lines hanging across the park entrance. Almost a poetic ending.

Spotted Sandpiper

Gray Catbird

Indigo Bunting

Indigo Bunting

Cedar Waxwing

Field Sparrow

Field Sparrow

Indigo Bunting

Indigo Bunting

White-breasted Nuthatch


44 species


Turkey Vulture  2
Osprey  1
Spotted Sandpiper  2
Mourning Dove  5
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Chimney Swift  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  6
Eastern Wood-Pewee  8
Alder Flycatcher  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  4
Barn Swallow  10
Black-capped Chickadee  5
Tufted Titmouse  7
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  3
House Wren  1
Wood Thrush  3
American Robin  7
Gray Catbird  14
Brown Thrasher  1
European Starling  2
Cedar Waxwing  25
Yellow Warbler  5
Ovenbird  1
Common Yellowthroat  5
Hooded Warbler  1
Eastern Towhee  8
Chipping Sparrow  1
Field Sparrow  10
Song Sparrow  7
Scarlet Tanager  2
Northern Cardinal  7
Indigo Bunting  9
American Goldfinch  21
House Sparrow  8


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)