Saturday, June 4, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • June 4

It was a cloudy and rainy, 55F early morning birding hike in Oatka today. The skies were profoundly dark and sprinkles of rain would erupt from time to time. Still, the birds didn't seem to mind, so I decided I didn't either! :-) By the time I had reached the woods from the parking lot I had already noted twenty-three species. The most notable bird was a loudly singing Hooded Warbler that I would encounter on the way back out of the woods at the end of the hike. The creek continues to recede to normal levels and is now clear enough and low enough to see easily to the bottom, as underscored by the number of fishermen in the creek. (One explained to me that June is the "last hurray" for insect hatchings that precipitate peak fishing conditions for Oatka Creek Park. After that, one must go elsewhere for the confluence of ideal insect hatching / fish feeding events.) Of course, these conditions also hopefully signal the coming return of herons, kingfishers, and Ospreys to the creek, with the occasional Bald Eagle thrown in for added zest. :-) The western field along Bluebird Trail is becoming more and more Cedar Waxwing City, as a notable flock has been in attendance for a number of days now. As soon as I entered the field this morning, I noticed the air was *filled* with the songs of Cedar Waxwings, to the point that the high-pitched notes started to become a bit piercing as I approached the birds in the copse. As I neared the woods behind the lodge from White Tail Trail, I started hearing the Hooded Warbler. Realizing it was long shot, I deviated from my normal route and headed into the woods to see if I could find the songster. Amazingly, I did! It was in the upper canopy and always in motion, moving from perch to perch, singing the whole time. I did get some excellent, though fleeting, looks of the hooded breeding plumage. I made some hopeless photographic attempts and then ceded the game to the warbler. Still, it was a great way to end the outing!


Cedar Waxwing


American Goldfinch


Ox-eye Daisy


Baltimore Oriole


Baltimore Oriole


Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     6/4/11
Number of species:     43


Mallard     1
Great Blue Heron     1
Turkey Vulture     1
Mourning Dove     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     2
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Pileated Woodpecker     1
Eastern Wood-Pewee     7
Alder Flycatcher     4
Willow Flycatcher     1
Great Crested Flycatcher     1
Eastern Kingbird     1
Warbling Vireo     1
Red-eyed Vireo     7
Blue Jay     3
American Crow     10
Black-capped Chickadee     1
Tufted Titmouse     3
House Wren     3
Eastern Bluebird     2
Wood Thrush     6
American Robin     5
Gray Catbird     12
Brown Thrasher     1
Cedar Waxwing     6
Blue-winged Warbler     4
Yellow Warbler     19
American Redstart     2
Ovenbird     1
Common Yellowthroat     7
Hooded Warbler     1
Eastern Towhee     14
Chipping Sparrow     2
Field Sparrow     5
Song Sparrow     6
Scarlet Tanager     1
Northern Cardinal     12
Rose-breasted Grosbeak     1
Indigo Bunting     10
Red-winged Blackbird     4
Brown-headed Cowbird     5
Baltimore Oriole     3
American Goldfinch     2


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)