Thursday, June 23, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • June 22

It was a mostly cloudy and very humid 86F late afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. As I surveyed the weather reports before leaving for the park, I thought "perfect conditions for Rain Crows!" I was not disappointed. As I approached the copse near the nesting boxes along Bluebird Trail, a Black-billed Cuckoo appeared over the field to the my left and then flew at near ground level onto and along the trail in front of me. It then ducked into the copse. As I approached, a bird popped out onto a low perch. It turned out to be an adult-sized juvenile bluebird. Nice, but not my quarry at the moment. After a few more steps, the cuckoo decided to leave the copse and I saw it fly out and towards the trees at the edge of the field. My other surprise was seeing my first Spotted Sandpiper of the season along the creek today. Speaking of the creek, I had a family unit of Northern Rough-winged Swallows flycatching over the water near the sandpiper: two adults and two juveniles.


Gray Catbird

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Spotted Sandpiper

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Song Sparrow


Oatka Creek Park, Monroe, US-NY
Jun 22, 2011 4:30 PM - 6:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.2 mile(s)
41 species


Turkey Vulture  2
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Black-billed Cuckoo  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  5
Eastern Phoebe  1
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  5
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  3
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  4
Tree Swallow  1
Barn Swallow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  3
House Wren  1
Eastern Bluebird  3
Wood Thrush  1
American Robin  7
Gray Catbird  10
Brown Thrasher  1
Cedar Waxwing  5
Blue-winged Warbler  3
Yellow Warbler  15
American Redstart  1
Ovenbird  1
Common Yellowthroat  3
Eastern Towhee  7
Chipping Sparrow  2
Field Sparrow  7
Song Sparrow  5
Scarlet Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  4
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  4
Indigo Bunting  6
Red-winged Blackbird  4
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
Baltimore Oriole  1
American Goldfinch  6
House Sparrow  2


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)