Sunday, June 12, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • June 12

It was a cloudy and rainy, 63F early morning birding hike in Oatka today. The first and last half hours of the walk were dry with the central almost two hours in drizzle. I could hear the juvenile Eastern Phoebe down by the lodge from the parking lot to start things off nicely. I heard a number of Scarlet Tanagers today, two of which were quite close. However, I was never able to get a visual sighting. I came upon the Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the vicinity of its nest again today, but I chose not to approach the nest and will content myself will spotting fledglings when the time comes. Along the wooded portion of Black Billed Cuckoo Trail, a murder of crows was mobbing a Red-tailed Hawk. The cacophony was almost painfully loud at one point. :-) Speaking of Black-billed Cuckoos, as I was walking the fields of Black Billed Cuckoo Trail, I found one of its namesakes perched very low in a tree in the field, almost at the top of the field grasses. I got one okay picture, despite it drizzling at the time. As I approached the bridge over the creek, I spotted a Belted Kingfisher perching on one of the concrete bridge posts. It promptly took off, rattling as it went. I used that as a cue to take Trout Run Trail along the creek, at least part of the way. At one spot on that trail a Hairy Woodpecker took *extreme* umbrage to my presence to the point that I was wondering if I was going to be physically attacked! I was clearly too close to its nest. A Yellow-billed Cuckoo called from the fields of White Tail Trail, near the lodge. Finally, a Yellow-throated Vireo serenaded me as I walked the dirt road back to my car.


Moth Mullien


Eastern Phoebe (juvenile)


Black-billed Cuckoo


Tree Swallow


Yellow Goatsbeard


Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     6/12/11
Number of species:     45


Mallard     2
Red-tailed Hawk     1
Mourning Dove     1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo     1
Black-billed Cuckoo     1
Belted Kingfisher     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     2
Downy Woodpecker     1
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     1
Eastern Wood-Pewee     9
Alder Flycatcher     2
Willow Flycatcher     1
Eastern Phoebe     1
Great Crested Flycatcher     1
Yellow-throated Vireo     1
Red-eyed Vireo     2
Blue Jay     2
American Crow     7
Tree Swallow     2
Black-capped Chickadee     5
Tufted Titmouse     2
House Wren     2
Wood Thrush     4
American Robin     4
Gray Catbird     7
Brown Thrasher     1
Cedar Waxwing     2
Blue-winged Warbler     4
Yellow Warbler     20
American Redstart     2
Ovenbird     1
Common Yellowthroat     4
Eastern Towhee     5
Chipping Sparrow     1
Field Sparrow     7
Song Sparrow     8
Scarlet Tanager     4
Northern Cardinal     3
Rose-breasted Grosbeak     3
Indigo Bunting     6
Red-winged Blackbird     6
Brown-headed Cowbird     6
Baltimore Oriole     3
American Goldfinch     7


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)