Thursday, May 19, 2011

St. Bernard's Seminary • May 19

There was a break in the rains today during the noon hour, so I headed over to behind St. Bernard's Seminary to peer down the bank of the Genesee River gorge to see what was there. Right from the start near where the Genesee Riverway Trail splits along Lake Avenue I heard the somewhat falling trill of a Pine Warbler on my left alternating with the rising trill of a Northern Parula on my right. It was a very interesting contrast! I frequently stepped off the trail and out to edge of the bank and found at various times a Swainson's Thrush, an Orange-crowned Warbler, and both male and female Black-throated Blue Warblers. An Ovenbird flew across my trail just a few feet away on my return trip. A number of other interesting regulars (Baltimore Orioles, Northern Mockingbirds, etc.) filled out the list for my short birding walk.


Black-throated Blue Warbler. This is a female. I also saw the gorgeous male, but wasn't able to get those shots today.


Location:     St. Bernard's Seminary
Observation date:     5/19/11
Notes:      
Number of species:     21


Ring-billed Gull     2
Red-bellied Woodpecker     2
Downy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     1
Pileated Woodpecker     1
Great Crested Flycatcher     1
Red-eyed Vireo     1
American Crow     1
Tufted Titmouse     3
Swainson's Thrush     1
American Robin     4
Northern Mockingbird     1
Orange-crowned Warbler     1
Northern Parula     1
Black-throated Blue Warbler     3
Pine Warbler     1
Ovenbird     1
Red-winged Blackbird     1
Baltimore Oriole     1
American Goldfinch     1
House Sparrow     3


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)