Saturday, May 14, 2011

St. Bernard's Seminary • May 13

Over lunch I walked behind St. Bernard's Seminary to see what was hanging out along the bank over the Genesee River gorge. Quite a lot, today. After passing a Magnolia Warbler on my way to my first overlook, I walked to the edge and then noticed about five feet in front of my nose was the rear half of a Red-tailed Hawk sticking out from behind a tree! I carefully took some pictures and then, as in some time-honored comedy routine, I slowly shifted my weight to my left foot to peek around the side where the head should be. Simultaneously, the hawk was slowly doing the same thing with respect to me. So, we ended up nose-to-bill and I was able to get one picture before the hawk decided to move to another perch only about fifteen feet away. I took several more pictures and then moved on. At another overlook a Pileated Woodpecker flew in front of me and onto a nearby tree for a quick photo-op. On the way back, drumming brought me to a Hairy Woodpecker right on the trail. Throw in a nice photo-op with a mockingbird and it was a very productive midday break!


Red-tailed Hawk, rear half. :-)


Red-tailed Hawk. Peekaboo!


Red-tailed Hawk


Red-tailed Hawk


Pileated Woodpecker


Pileated Woodpecker


Northern Mockingbird


Northern Mockingbird


Northern Mockingbird


Blue Jay sitting on its nest.


Hairy Woodpecker


Location:     St. Bernard's Seminary
Observation date:     5/13/11
Notes:      
Number of species:     21


Red-tailed Hawk     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     2
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Pileated Woodpecker     1
Yellow-throated Vireo     1
Red-eyed Vireo     2
Blue Jay     2
American Crow     1
Tufted Titmouse     2
American Robin     9
Northern Mockingbird     1
European Starling     3
Magnolia Warbler     1
Pine Warbler     1
Chipping Sparrow     1
Northern Cardinal     1
Red-winged Blackbird     2
Common Grackle     1
Brown-headed Cowbird     1
American Goldfinch     5
House Sparrow     5


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)