Friday, May 13, 2011

St. Bernard's Seminary • May 12

Over lunch I walked down to St. Bernard's Seminary and a bit of the cemetery to bird along the Genesee River gorge. At one point I spished up a Ruby-crowned Kinglet that appeared about four feet in front of my nose from out of nowhere. :-) I had to be very careful with my birding by ear, as the local mockingbird was being very adept with its imitations today. At one point in the cemetery I walked down a small grade to the edge of the bank over the river and was rewarded with the singing of a Hooded Warbler. Walking back to work, as I reached Merrill Street, which is a residential street that borders the northern side of the Kodak Research Laboratories parking lot, I noticed a large bird soaring towards me along the street, flying low as Turkey Vultures sometimes do. However, I then saw that the wings were not held in a vee, but straight out! I grabbed my camera and actually got a couple decent pictures as an immature Bald Eagle soared close by as it made its way past me. 


Bald Eagle


Bald Eagle


Location:     St. Bernard's Seminary
Observation date:     5/12/11
Notes:      
Number of species:     21


Turkey Vulture     2
Bald Eagle     1
Red-tailed Hawk     2
Rock Pigeon     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Downy Woodpecker     2
Blue Jay     2
Tufted Titmouse     3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet     1
American Robin     9
Northern Mockingbird     1
European Starling     2
Hooded Warbler     1
Chipping Sparrow     1
Northern Cardinal     1
Red-winged Blackbird     1
Common Grackle     1
Brown-headed Cowbird     1
Baltimore Oriole     2
American Goldfinch     3
House Sparrow     5


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)