Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • May 18

It was a cloudy and 73F late afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. It was a very birdy walk today with a large variety of species. Walking down the dirt road to the woods I found a Warbling Vireo, a lifer for me. Fifteen more species would be added to the list before entering the woods. A pair of Hooded Warblers serenaded me along Brown Creeper Trail, as did a Common Yellowthroat, Blue-winged Warblers, and an Ovenbird, along with regulars like towhees and a Red-eyed Vireo. Returning to Black-billed Cuckoo Trail and walking the wooded portion, things quieted down. Leaving the woods and entering the fields, I saw a large bird fly across my path and perch conveniently in a tree in front of me. A Black-billed Cuckoo! I had an unobstructed view and it quietly preened as I took many pictures. Despite the cloudy conditions, the red eye rings stood out. After that, I walked Warbler Loop with its many Yellow Warblers and catbirds. Down by the upper creek bank, warblers poured across the trail at one point. I spotted Magnolia and Nashville Warblers in the mix and there may have been others. The Eastern Phoebe was on station at the northern end of the bridge across the creek. I found my first Indigo Bunting along Bluebird Trail, where they traditionally nest. White-crowned Sparrows quietly fed near the parking lot when I returned to my car. Great night!


Gray Catbird


Wild Geranium


Wild Geranium


Black-billed Cuckoo


Black-billed Cuckoo


Black-billed Cuckoo


Eastern Phoebe


Baltimore Oriole


Baltimore Oriole


Wood Thrush


Mayapple


Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     5/18/11
Notes:      
Number of species:     41


Turkey Vulture     10
Mourning Dove     4
Black-billed Cuckoo     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     2
Eastern Phoebe     1
Great Crested Flycatcher     1
Warbling Vireo     1
Red-eyed Vireo     2
Blue Jay     5
American Crow     5
Tree Swallow     1
Black-capped Chickadee     3
Tufted Titmouse     2
Carolina Wren     1
House Wren     1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     2
Wood Thrush     4
American Robin     5
Gray Catbird     7
Brown Thrasher     1
Blue-winged Warbler     4
Nashville Warbler     1
Yellow Warbler     14
Magnolia Warbler     1
Ovenbird     1
Common Yellowthroat     3
Hooded Warbler     2
Eastern Towhee     10
Chipping Sparrow     1
Field Sparrow     3
Song Sparrow     1
White-crowned Sparrow     1
Scarlet Tanager     1
Northern Cardinal     6
Rose-breasted Grosbeak     4
Indigo Bunting     1
Red-winged Blackbird     2
Brown-headed Cowbird     1
Baltimore Oriole     5
American Goldfinch     4


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)