Sunday, May 1, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • April 29

It was a cloudy, breezy, and cold 47F late afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. When I got out of the car I was struck by a wall of goldfinch vocalizations. I put twenty into eBird, but it sounded like a hundred. I picked my way through this sonic wall to get thirteen other species before I entered the woods. Warbler Loop was interesting tonight. While enjoying an interesting photo-op with a towhee, I noticed something yellow buried in the thick brush. Binoculars revealed it to be a Blue-winged Warbler, another first for the season. Behind me, complex chatter drew my attention when I was done with the towhee. It turned out to be a number of Ruby-crowned Kinglets, with one male in particular revealing a large bright red crown. Down by the creek, the water was starting to clear and recede and was manageable enough for a pair of Mallards and a pair of Wood Ducks. Out by the bluebird nesting boxes along Bluebird Trail, the male bluebird continues its guard duty over a particular box with the female nowhere to be seen, i.e., possibly on the nest. Finally, the Field Sparrows are becoming bolder and not fleeing as readily with my appearance along Bluebird Trail. Soon, they will just give me a ho-hum look. :-)


Red-winged Blackbird


Eastern Towhee


Eastern Towhee


Eastern Towhee


Eastern Towhee


Eastern Towhee


Large-flower Trillium


Eastern Bluebird


Downy Serviceberry


Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     4/29/11
Notes:      
Number of species:     30


Canada Goose     4
Wood Duck     2
Mallard     2
Turkey Vulture     2
Red-bellied Woodpecker     2
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     1
Pileated Woodpecker     1
Blue Jay     4
American Crow     6
Black-capped Chickadee     4
Tufted Titmouse     3
White-breasted Nuthatch     2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet     4
Eastern Bluebird     1
American Robin     9
Gray Catbird     1
Brown Thrasher     1
European Starling     17
Blue-winged Warbler     1
Eastern Towhee     6
Field Sparrow     4
Song Sparrow     5
White-throated Sparrow     6
Dark-eyed Junco     3
Northern Cardinal     7
Red-winged Blackbird     8
Common Grackle     1
Brown-headed Cowbird     4
American Goldfinch     20


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)