Monday, April 18, 2011

Owl Woods • April 18

I made it to Owl Woods over lunch before the *snow* (yuck!) started falling. :-p Anyway, I found two Northern Saw-whet Owls, with the first one being of special interest. More on that below.


Click the pictures for large versions!


Can you spot the owl? #1


Northern Saw-whet Owl #1. I thought it was odd that this owl had its eyes wide open. I know I was careful as I approached and didn't disturb it. Now that I look at the picture, I see the reason I never saw when taking the picture: there is a freshly caught mouse in its talons at the bottom of the picture. It's been hunting!


Can you spot the owl? #1 answer


Can you spot the owl? #2


Northern Saw-whet Owl #2


Can you spot the owl? #2 answer


Location:     Braddock Bay WMA--Owl Woods
Observation date:     4/18/11
Notes:      
Number of species:     1


Northern Saw-whet Owl     2


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)