Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Owl Woods • April 12

As I was exiting Owl Woods over the noon hour today (I didn't find any owls), some tapping to my left alerted me to the presence of a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. It was intent on feeding, so I was able to get some nice pictures!


Click the pictures for large versions!


Yellow-bellied Sapsucker


Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. This is a female because the throat is white. The throat of a male would be red.


Yellow-bellied Sapsucker


Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. Here's a nice view of its red crown.


Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. This view shows some of the previous holes drilled and the resulting weeping sap.


Location:     Braddock Bay WMA--Owl Woods
Observation date:     4/12/11
Notes:      
Number of species:     1


Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)